Welcome

Hello, fellow computer users! So glad you're reading my blog. Anyway, just wanted to tell you what this site is all about. I'm pretty much just blogging about books, movies, TV shows, music, and any other random thought that comes to my head (because isn't that what blogging is all about?). So sit back, relax, and START READING!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mulan (1998)

I've noticed that the older I get the more I enjoy kid movies.  Especially Disney kid movies.  They always seem to sneak in an inappropriate comment or two into their movies that as children we didn't see.  To celebrate being able to understand all the grown-up jokes thrown into movies, I've been watching a plethra of Disney lately.  My most recent movie (I seriously finished two minutes ago.  YouTube rocks.) was Mulan.  Now if you haven't seen Mulan here's pretty much what it's about:

Mulan is a girl, the only child of her honored family. When the Huns invade China, one man from every family is called to arms. Mulan's father, who has an old wound and cannot walk properly, decides to fight for his country and the honor of his family though it is clear that he will not survive an enemy encounter. Mulan, who just got rejected by the matchmaker because she had set her on fire, decides to prove that she is worth something and steals away to fit her father's place in the Chinese army. She prays to her family's ancestors for protection and luck before leaving as a man in her father's armor with her family's horse. The ancestors awake and decide to send Mushu, a little dishonored dragon to aid Mulan in her quest. Weeks later, Mulan and the other troopers have survived the training camp and are on the way north to stop the huns. After being spotted and pursued by the enemies, an impass situation in the mountains forces Mulan to come up with an idea. But then, her real gender will no longer be a secret. She decides to risk everything in order to save China.

I hadn't seen this movie in about five or six years, keep in mind.  So I did not expect the massive number of sly comments and less-than-clean scenes.  Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the movie:

"What's the matter?  Never seen a black and white before?"
"I never want to see a naked man again."
"No one's listening to me."  "What?"  "Mushu!"  "Sorry, you're a girl again."
"She's a woman!  She's not worth anything."
"You're too skinny.  Not good for having boys."
"I think I'm going to go pray some more."
"You know how it is when you get those manly urges and just have to go kill something..."  (bwahahaha!  This is my favorite quote!)
"Whoo!  Sign me up for the next war!"
"Concubines.  Ugly concubines."

Some of my favorite scenes:

When Mulan is bathing in the stream and the boys jump in with her.  Awkward.
When Mushu bites Ling in the ass.  "That was close."  "No that was vile!  You owe me."
When the boys sing "A Girl Worth Fighting For" and Mulan is in the middle of it.
When they cross-dress to save China!

As you can see, my viewing experience was very enjoyable.  What are your favorite kid movies that are sneakily inappropriate?  Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment